Radarmet Computing Environment
Reminder of What Is Available
Also feel free to express your concerns about issues that you may have.
Where are the Computers?
- Room 306: Uinta
- Room 314: Shasta, and Rainier
- Room 315: Denali (/home), and Radarmet (email and web)
- Room 316: Teton, and Maroon
- Room 317: Annapurna
- Room 318: Mustang (Mac); and printer Spectrum
- Room 319: Andes
- Room 320: Rawah, and Longs
The Computing Environment
- Your home directory (/home/$USER) is on Denali
- Every computer except for Radarmet uses the home directory on Denali
- Every computer has data disks/partitions and you have a directory on each data partition (e.g. /data2/hein)
- Every data partition can be reached from every computer (e.g. /net/shasta/data3/hein)
- We have roughly 100TB of disk space with 31TB of free space.
- Semi-weekly Disk Backups to external disks on Rainier, Maroon, and Longs
- Daily Email Inbox Backup (disk)
- Daily /data Program Backup (disk)
- Daily Rsync /home Backup (disk)
- Selected Daily /home Backup (disk)
- List the files/directories you want to backup in /home/$USER/.backupthis
- You can select a file on a specific day that you want to restore.
Some Good Ideas
- run-all "locate 990224" finds all files that have "990224" in the filename.
- df-data-all returns how much space is available on each data disk.
- nxclient allows one to work from home with full X Windows.
- It quicker to process data on the computer where the data is than to process
it over the internet from another computer. /net/$computer/data is a helpful
way to access stuff over the network but processing data will be slower than running your job on that machine.
- Format Conversion: any_to_uf, pyart, RadxConvert, ced2nc
- Editting/Viewing: artview, solo3
- Filtering/KDP: CSU_RadarTools, DROPS, artview, pyart
- Gridding: Reorder, Sprint, Radx2Grid, pyart
- Dual Doppler: Cedric
- Plotting/General Programming: idl, python
Programs/Packages in Bold
are recommended. The others are old and are generally more limited. Future research is moving toward using python and the cfradial netcdf format.
Useful Local Software Documentation
- To set up your computer environment to use python and its packages
- In /home/$USER/.cshrc, Comment out and add
#setenv PYTHONPATH "/usr/local64/lib64/python2.6/site-packages"
setenv PATH /usr/local64/python-2.7/anaconda/bin:$PATH
- cp /home/hein/.matplotlib /home/$USER #Do this if there are plotting problems.
ARTview is radar viewer and editor with a GUI. It makes use of Py-ART and has several added features.